Thursday, June 15, 2006

Fucking Flock

So...

I've installed this 'fine' piece of software called Flock... A Web2.0 version of Firefox or what ever...

It acted very friendly and offered to import a shit load of settings and bookmarks from Firefox. I agreed.

Then it suggested to use del.icio.us integration. Cool. I agreed.

Then this fucker imported and merged all the bookmarks in wrong folders and mishmashed them with the posts I had in del.icio.us. Blarg. That was annoying.. But ok. I removed them all, and decided to reimport just from del.icio.us.

And here comes the funny part. Apparently - when I pressed delete on my local bookmarks... It deleted them permanently from del.icio.us aswell! With no confirmation!!!

After getting pissed as hell, I remembered that I imported del.icio.us to Yahoo! MyWeb a couple of days ago. So I decided to save what's possible from them.

So I've used their API to get all my posts. Without using and SOAP/REST whatever, I just copied an URL from ther docs, and changed it a little.

http://api.search.yahoo.com/MyWebService/V1/urlSearch?appid=YahooDemo&yahooid=YOURUSER&results=50

This will return a neatly structured XML of all your bookmarks with their tags.

Then the next step was parsing this data, preparing it, and shipping it off to del.icio.us.

Here's when trusty Python comes in:

  • Use ElementTree module to parse the xml using .fromstring method
  • Use PyDeleicious for adding tags

All in all - about 20 lines of code.

So after 10 minutes of mucking around with python code - all my bookmarks are back in place, and Flock is in my permanent SHIT LIST (and I see I am not alone: flocksucks.wordpress.com)

This was a public service announcement from Eli Yukelzon. :)


technorati tags:,

2 comments:

foolswisdom said...

Hi Eli,

I am sorry that Flock has caused you such distress. With your help, I can identify the problems and have them fixed.

What OS and build of Flock did you try?

"imported and merged all the bookmarks in wrong folders and mishmashed them with the posts I had in del.icio.us"

Can you provide more details. You add a local favorite with some tags and the same online bookmark with different tags? And the result was not as you expected?

"Apparently - when I pressed delete on my local bookmarks... It deleted them permanently from del.icio.us aswell! With no confirmation!!!"

When I delete favorites, it confirms that I want to delete it. Maybe there is a particular path where it does not? Can you provide the steps?

You expected that deletes in Flock would not affect del.icio.us ? How would you like to see it work?

Thank you for your time,

--
All the best to you,
Lloyd D Budd
Flock QA (Qommunity and quality Assurance)
Flock / http://flock.com
mobile / 415-419-4352
blog / http://foolswisdom.com/~lloyd


PS. You should allow non-Blogger people to comment ;-)

Sir Reflog said...

Hi.

>> What OS and build of Flock did you try?

I was using last Beta1 release...

>> Can you provide more details

What is the rationale behind importing all the bookmarks from Firefox, if they are un-tagged and without descriptions, and probably server some other purpose than those on del.icio.us ? Why mix them together? When I saw the result of the mix, I thought - damn, I don't want all this to go to my public del.icio.us account! So I removed the bookmarks... Probably there was a confirmation about deletion, but nothing was mentioned about the online part! I am in no way a newbie PC user, so if it tripped me - I think something is wrong with the UI.

They way I would like to have del.icio.us integration - is to use it ONLY and not with bookmarks. And make it explicit so that user will know that every change is mirrored online.

Sorry for the harsh words in original post, but I was rather pissed about the experience.

Eli

P.S. I was getting to much spam here, that's why only Blogger users can post.