Thursday, August 11, 2005

It's alive!

Beleive it or not - the blog is still alive :) The times have been weird lately at my job, and it affects my hobby patterns. But never mind that, let's see what I've been up to...


I'm always trying to keep my finger on the pulse when it comes to fresh technologies and software terms. So when half of the blogosphere started talking about Ruby-On-Rails and AJAX, I had to check it out. All I gathered from the posts is that it's some cool way to create snappy blog engines, and since I was going to work on a project involving web-interace, I decided to give it a spin, and see what's the buzz all about.


First of all - I didn't know Ruby. Basicly, Ruby is another P language, as in Perl/Python/PHP. Less of the PHP, more of Perl, with OO from Python, that's the way I see it. It's a really sweet language, a bit too Perlish for my taste, since I became quite fond of Python's code clarity, but still rather slick. Let's say, if I had to choose from Perl and Ruby a language for some new project, I think I'd choose Ruby. I've browsed through Programming Ruby book, which is awesome, it gives you just the same boos as the Dive Into Python (which actually got me hooked), gathered the basic understanding and moved to Rails.


Apparently Rails is a very neat idea. It's a set of scripts and a library of code, that allows you in minutes (literally!) link your database model and content to code, and display it all very neatly in a browser. It provides a full Model/Controller system, where you stuff all the 'actions' inside the controller, and define table relations in the model. It's all very clean and easy on the typing, and it does save you a lot of time when working on CRUD(CReate/Update/Delete) which is the most tedious task in all DB backended apps.


If you think on taking Ruby On Rails for a spin, I suggest you watch the 10 minute video from Rails Academy, it will really wet your appetite. Unfortunatly amount of time that I had for this project quickly went to shit, and I had to put it in the back burner for now...


What I plan to tackle with next, is my arch-nemesis - JAVA. The language I fear more than death itself. I exagurate ofcourse, but so far, my experience with Java is the same as I have with Physics: we don't like each other. We'll see how it goes...


5 comments:

Ferreus said...

And i started to think you of-blog again.
Good luck with Java.
You can download the best book on java by Bruce Eckel for free from his web site. All others are crap :)
But you'll be going in WRONG Direction. I seen a lot's of books:
"C# for Java Developers" but not in the other way :)

I wonder what you'll choose between Ruby And Python?

Keep it up.

gxki6wvqq48tbxf said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Ferreus said...

Wow, you really off blog.
don't even care to clean the garbage... :)

tweedledeetweedledum said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Enlargement said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.