Thursday, December 09, 2004

Qt/Kde sweetness

Coupla days ago a new snapshot of Eric3 was published. In it’s changelog I found an interesting line:

added some dialog wrappers that make eric use KDE dialogs, if
KDE and PyKDE are installed

And I was like – WTF? Why didn’t I think of that? So in a few minutes I was ripping through Eric’s code in frenzy. Ten minutes later – I had first results

Now, what does it mean for an end user? The following:

  • If you don’t have PyKDE or KDE installed – nothing will change. You won’t even notice the new features
  • If KHTML can be initialised, the ugly QTextBrowser used for preview is replaced with full blown KHtml based previewer.
  • If DCOP can be initialised, then the user get a very sweet remote control over PyQLogger1
  • A very nice tray applet is added, with menu items for basic actions

I might add more as I come along…

1 Here are the things you can do with DCOP at this point:



command: ~~~~~~ dcop pyqlogger-28190 PyQLogger result: ~~~~ QCStringList interfaces() QCStringList functions() void newpost() void setPostTitle(QString) QString getPostTitle() QString getPostText() void preview() void setPostText(QStringList) command: ~~~~~~ dcop pyqlogger-28190 PyQLogger getPostTitle result: Qt/Kde sweetness

And etc! Use your imagination :-P

3 comments:

Fabrice said...

omg .... this is getting better every day. Is there a new release coming soon?

Ciao

Fab

Sir Reflog said...

Hi Fabrice.

Sorry for not answering, I didn't realize that I couldn't mail back to blog comment notifications...

Anyway, that's what I wrote to you in mail:

Good day, Fabrice!

It's really interesting that you've mentioned the tray
functionality... Because that's exactly what I've just finished coding
:) I've setup a transparent mode for KDE usage, so If user has kde and
pykde installed, he will get (for free :-) ) a KHTML based post
preview, and a tray icon.

I'll release a 1.3.3 tomorrow probably, to add this feature.

P.s. If i'm not misstaken you're pretty active in the whole KDE.nl
community... Do you know, where can I post request for some artist to
make some logo/icons for PyQLogger? I'm kinda clueless with this
things :)

cheers,

reflog

Fabrice said...

Hi reflog,

Please contact me by email as I have a name of a person you should try to contact who can help for the missing graphics in PyQLogger. She is very much involved with KDE-Look.org and maybe should could give this app some more exposure to the artists as well.

Kind regards,

Fab


Fabrice